Friday, July 8, 2011

Dear Miyazaki


Dear Hayao Miyazaki,

Before going to your museum last Saturday, I read your vision for it.  You explain what you want your museum to be in such a caring way.  I am glad I took the time to read what you had to say before visiting.

As I entered the museum, I was welcomed by a sense of warmth.  Gentle light streamed through the stained glass windows, casting vibrant colors everywhere.  The murals climbed exquisitely up the walls to the ceiling.  I wanted to grab a hold and climb into the land of imagination.

It was like entering a home…not a museum.

Soot sprites were sprinkled everywhere, accompanying images of Totoro, who led the way down the staircase to one of the most amazing buildings in which I have been.  You have created a labyrinth of a museum.  Spiraling staircases, bridges, tiny doorways, uneven levels.  It is place to get lost and let your imagination run wild.  Your creativity and genius shine like a wise star through the entire building. 

What a delightful, welcoming and generous place you have created.

The interactivity of the exhibits made me feel like a child.  I twisted knobs, opened tiny doors and stared in wonder. 

Most inspiring was seeing the beginning of an idea in drawings and paintings I recognize from beloved films.  Set amidst a replica of your study…Books piled everywhere.  Models, gadgets and gizmos provoked curiosity.  Vivid colors spilled from tubes of paint to the countless paintings that cover the entire wall.  

Everywhere you looked, something was there to draw you in and release your imagination.

Miyazaki San, your creativity is a gift of inspiration. 

Thank you

Viewing the museum from outside.  It is almost entirely covered in greenery.
A creature form Castle in the Sky.  (Karl is 6' 2'' for scale.)
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment