Tuesday, October 18, 2011

春夏秋冬


Haru, natsu, aki, fuyu.  Spring, summer, autumn, winter.

In Japan, the seasons are all so distinct.  Well, what I really mean to say is that they are more equal, I guess.  Where I am from, winter monopolizes most of the year.  Spring is cool.  Summer is short.  Autumn is shorter. 

Despite its brevity, autumn is my favorite.  Of all the seasons, it appeals the most to my senses: the spiced cider, the pumpkin pie, the crisp air and bright leaves.  What’s not to love?

Experiencing autumn in Japan has been familiar…but different. The season itself lasts longer, which I love. 

The leaves are just beginning to change now and it will last at least another month.  


The temperature is perfect.  

The apples, pears, persimmons and figs are in season.


Rice is being harvested.


Winter vegetables are being planted.  

Prickly chestnuts are falling from their trees.




  
Bring on the cool weather.  I am ready for こたつ (kotatsu) and onsen!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment