Thursday, June 30, 2011

I have a confession to make...


I grew up really disliking anime.  There, I said it.  Please don’t hate me, Japan.

Fortunately, I was introduced to an amazing movie by a dear friend of mine.  That movie is called Spirited Away. 

The story is captivating.  The animation is wonderful.  The music is enchanting. 

I changed my mind.

I quickly learned all the movies by Hayao Miyazaki are incredible.  I also soon discovered that Karl really likes his movies as well.  So much so, that for his birthday this Saturday, we are going to visit the Studio Ghibli Museum.  The studio that produces all of Miyazaki’s films.

For those of you who have never seen a Miyazaki film, I strongly encourage you to go rent one and watch it.  Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, Howl’s Moving Castle, Graveof the Fireflies, they are all good.

The stories are truly original.  They are born from the mind of a genius. Miyazaki’s movies are also an incredible way to learn about and study the Japanese language and culture. 

I liked the movies before moving to Japan.  Having lived here for a while now, they have become even better.  Every time I watch one again, I discover something I hadn’t noticed before.  And it’s fun to comprehend a bit more Japanese every time.  Hopefully someday I won’t need subtitles at all.

Back to studying I go!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment