Saturday, June 11, 2011

What do you do when...

...someone gives you thirty pounds of onions?

You make French Onion Soup.  That's what you do.

Last week, one of the teachers at Obusuma Elementary school asked me if I like onions.  I said yes.  The next day, he showed up with a h-u-g-e bag of onions from his farm.  For me.


So I made soup...


This was my first attempt at French Onion Soup.  I poked around online looking for recipes and watching videos but ended up making my own version.


French Onion Soup is traditionally served over crusty, delicious French Bread, covered in cheese and then baked till the cheese is roasted. YUM.

Unfortunately, I don't have oven safe bowls.  So we had to do with dipping baguette and sprinkling with freshly grated Parmesan.  It could be worse.

So here is what I did:

7-8 onions (red, white, yellow combination)
2-3 T. olive oil
2-3 T. butter
one bulb of minced (I use a garlic press) garlic
salt
pepper

Heat up a pot over medium heat.  Let the oil come up to temp and melt the butter before adding the onions and garlic.  Saute over medium-low heat until the onions caramelize.  This will take about an hour.  Sprinkle on some S and P.  (I used freshly ground.)

1/4-1/2 c. Dry red or white wine
3-4 c. beef stock
3-4 c. chicken stock
1 t. dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Once the onions are beautifully caramelized, stir the wine. Stir in the stock, mustard, salt and pepper.

Simmer for at least 20 minutes.

Sprinkle with parmesan (or another cheese-our cheese choices are limited here.) Eat with a baguette.

So. Yummy. 
Pin It!

1 comment: