Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My Kind of Math


Hooray for new math! New-hoo-hoo math.
It won’t do you any good to review math.
It's so simple, so very simple,
That only a child can do it!


This song is hilarious.  Please do yourself a favor and listen to it.

Math was never really my strong suit.  Both my parents are artists and it is definitely showing as my siblings and I get older. 

It's not that I can’t do math…I understand it just fine.  I just don’t like it.  That is…except when it comes to baking or cooking.  In fact, growing up, my mom would occasionally combine math and home economics in our home school and we would cook and bake for credit.  It was a great way to practice fractions and ratios-especially when halving, doubling or tripling a recipe.

Which was waaaaay more fun than sitting there with a math book solving problem after problem. (Boooring!) 

So now-when it comes to cooking-I am all about fractions and ratios.  And equations such as the following:

Apples + Caramelized pecans + Lettuce + Homemade dressing = Delicious!




 I discovered this delicious recipe from another greatblog.  Check it out.  Although the recipe calls for cabbage and not lettuce, my darling husband came home from the store with lettuce. 

Which turned out wonderfully. 

In fact it was so delicious, I made it again this week...with cabbage.  And it was even better then the first time. YUM!!!
I highly recommend you try solving this problem for yourself-the results are ah-mazing.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Both versions look scrumptious! I was home schooled and my mom was always coming up with ways to teach me math in the kitchen; it explains a lot in the way I turned out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Ashley! My favorite kind of math was learned by making double batches of cookies I think... :)

    ReplyDelete